Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Academic Life


            I am sure most people seeing my adventures through social media think that I have not had any classes or homework while here, however, I have been exposed to a little of the academic life here in the Czech and in Europe in general.  There are many similarities between my academic life at UNK and Palacky University, but there are also many differences.  It is also difficult to understand the academic life here completely since our classes are tailored to our group and we are also traveling so much while here.
            Traveling is actually one part of the academic life in the Czech and in Europe that I have noticed a difference.  It is much more normal and common for students to travel while in college Europe to other countries and Universities.  I talked to several students that are actually required to travel to a few different countries while completing their upper level degrees.  I feel as though it is common to study abroad in the United States, but it seems like more of a “big deal” to us than it does to many of the Europeans.
            As far as the classroom, I did notice a difference in the way lectures are given.  Many of the lectures were straightforward and not interactive with our group.  There were a few lecturers that asked questions and conversed with us, but not very many.  I am used to lectures at UNK where most of the time we are asked questions frequently or have a discussion about the topic that is being taught.  I appreciate the more interactive lectures because I feel like I retain more than if I am just lectured to for an hour and a half.  Of course, part of it is the fact of being tired from traveling, which probably also played a role in my ability to focus and retain.  I do think the field trips helped cement some of the facts and points into my head, though.  Another thing that I found interesting was the fact that a lot of discussions after movies that we watched for class happened in the pub.  That would never happen in the United States.
            The classroom teacher/student dynamic was similar.  Again, that we were there only for a short period of time and therefore had different presenters most of the time, so this is a different situation than most Czech students.  Like I said, it is hard to judge what a normal classroom experience would be in the Czech with such little experience.  However, the professors did seem very invested in our learning and knowing more about us.  We probably spent the most consistent time with our two Czech language professors since we only rotated through two of them.  I felt that they took the time to make sure we were learning the material and also that they knew us personally, which is very similar to any other language class I have taken in the past.
            Overall, I felt that in some areas the academic life at Palacky was a little stricter than at UNK and in some areas more relaxed.  Our flat mates told us about how they have to take pre-finals tests and pass them just to be able to take the actual final itself.  This is one area where I would say the school is stricter than UNK.  I think a lot of it has to do with our different cultures as well.  We get used to learning a certain way and it is difficult when you have to try to learn something in a new way, but I think me as well as the whole group adapted well.

Last day of class!

First day of class roomie selfie!

Last day of class roomie selfie!



No comments:

Post a Comment